Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thought for the Day, #58

In January and just this week, I received emails from Anonymous Joe, who's employed by a large school district in Canada.  Joe's experience working with children over a long period of time generated a couple of exceptional quotes I want to share with you, which confirm a theme that runs through many of my posts.  

In January, Joe wrote:

The personal link you’ve made between self-worth and the ability to maintain long term monogamous relationships is the consensus amongst mental health and sexual health practitioners worldwide.

Sex or love–which one is it?
And, this week, Joe wrote:

Self-worth is a key factor in long term monogamous and healthy intimate relationships, gay or straight. Kids will pass off sex for love because they don't have a healthy self view to believe they can expect and demand both (no sex without committed love). 

It's true.  I don't have a degree in psychology or sociology.  But I do have fifty-plus-years of life experience as a gay man.  And I know what I'm talking about when I make a direct connection between low self-esteem and mistaking sex for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment