Thursday, June 13, 2013

Our Relationship Comes of Age


In some countries, states, and jurisdictions, the relationship I have with Chris officially comes of age today.  That is, this being June 13, 2013, Chris and I celebrate our twenty-first anniversary.  I will not be at home with him to share our special day, as I happen to be in Kelowna, on my annual visit with my mother.  But I'm scheduled to return home tomorrow, and we'll mark the occasion then.

What's so remarkable to me is that, twenty-one years ago, I would never have thought I'd be where I am today–in a monogamous relationship, for twenty-one years, with one of the most amazing human beings I've ever met, and still madly in love.  I am blessed, no question about that, and I couldn't be more grateful.  I have what a good many other gay men confide in me they wish they had.

I know you've heard this before, particularly on televised awards shows, but it's true:  If this can happen to me, it can happen to you too.  I am all the proof you need of that.  In other words, if an ordinary, nothing-special, mostly uptight, and not particularly easy to live with, gay man like me can find a wonderful human being to cherish and love for over two decades, I know for a fact it can happen to you too.

I hope when you look at me, you see someone very much like you.  I hope you see how much we have in common: the belief that love (not sex) is the only reason we're here, love can happen to any of us at any time, and the degree to which you love yourself suggests the degree to which you're able to accept love from someone else.

For all of you seeking real and true love, let this be your year.  That is my sincere wish for you.

Happy Anniversary, Sweetheart.  I love you so much.

8 comments:

  1. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! Thanks for sharing the picture! You guys looks great!

    Love
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loretta. You are very sweet.
      The picture is about five years old, but for the most part, we look the same, just a little older.

      Delete
  2. Belated congratulations! Of course, I am sure that you and Chris continue to celebrate your relationship beyond the anniversary marker. I suspect that it is the daily recognition of what you both have that makes the relationship continue to be so strong.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, RG, for your kind wishes. I appreciate them.

      I know you haven't heard from me in a while. That's because I decided to pull back from commenting on almost every post you wrote and allow other readers, and fans, to take the lead. But I continue to read everything you publish and to follow what's going on with you.

      And, it's true, Chris and I don't need an anniversary date to appreciate what we have. I know how fortunate I am to share my life with him, and I like to think that, in so many ways, we celebrate our enduring love for each other.

      Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. Happy belated anniversary to you both! I stumbled across your blog and it really warmed my heart! You write with such love and I admire that greatly. Looking forward to following your posts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind anniversary wishes, Jeff. And I sincerely appreciate your interest in my blog and in what I have to say.

      Since I changed the focus of my blog in January 2011 (to one of helping other gay people with the most important relationship they'll ever have–the one with themselves), every time I sit down to write, it's as though I'm writing to my younger self, hoping I share something with him that will make a difference in how he sees himself. I suppose that's where the love you mention in your comment comes from (although it's taken me a very long time to feel that way about myself). I'm just grateful other gay and lesbian people are able to relate to my words.

      I see you've become my sixty-sixth follower. Glad to have you on board. I hope you'll continue to find something here that is worth your time.

      (I've taken a brief look at your blog, but I plan to spend more time there. I love what you say in the preamble. I can relate to it so much.)

      I hope to hear from you again.

      Delete
  4. So glad to come across your blog... Happy anniversary!! I look fward to your posts..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you came across my blog too, Ningko80. I hope you find something here to keep you coming back.
      And thanks for the anniversary wishes. I appreciate your kindness.

      Delete