Monday, November 10, 2014

Chris and Me, November 2014

Time to ditch the picture of me wearing a cast; that's so October.  (By the way, I know I didn't post anything in October.  It was a rough month, considering…)

This past weekend, Chris and I were already thinking about our custom annual Christmas card (you can never be too prepared for these things).  To that end, we brought our camera and tripod to Queen Elizabeth Park on Saturday, and wouldn't you know it, the first picture was the best of the ten or so we snapped.  This was the one we used for our 2014 Christmas card we send to everyone (except each other, of course).

And look…no cast.  That doesn't mean I'm not still recovering.  I'll be at that for some time to come.  But I can give a good semblance of normalcy in a picture, can't I?

(By the way, I'm thinking of writing a post on the aftermath of wearing a cast for six weeks.  But I don't know if I'm up for it yet.)

I hope you like the picture.


10 comments:

  1. I like the picture! great backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frank. It was a beautiful fall day. I'd been to Queen Elizabeth Park before, but never to the sunken quarry. Spectacular.

      Delete
  2. GREAT picture, Rick and Chris - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. I appreciate it.
      I used to make such a production number every time someone wanted to take a picture of me. And, as a result, I ended up ruining most of them.
      Now, my attitude is, let's just get this done. In the process, I think I've relaxed a bit.
      But I also think I've just grown more accepting of how I look. That's me, age and all. It isn't getting any better. Why did I waste so many years hating myself in pictures?

      Delete
    2. I don't know why you wasted those years either! I have to tell you that when I first met you, I thought you were a rather good-looking man (in a purely platonic way, you understand!). And when I got to know you, I found that your personality matched my opinion of your appearance. So there it is. I think all of us have things we'd like to change about ourselves, or wish some things weren't as they are, but we are who we have been created to be, and who am I to argue with God's handiwork? I'm glad you have settled into just being the Rick we all know and love. :)

      Delete
    3. Wendy, you've been very kind and generous with your comment. I know you've also been honest, and I genuinely appreciate that.

      You know the sub-title of this blog? Well, coming to terms with myself hasn't just been about my sexual orientation. It's also been very much about my physical appearance, how I come across to everyone around me, both loved ones and total strangers.

      One of the many layers we all have, each one a test of who we are to ourselves, on the road to not only making peace with it, but also embracing it, and even loving it. If that makes any sense.

      Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. How very sweet you are, Chela. I really appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  4. Just found your blog....just trolling back having a read
    Nice to see a balanced gay blog about normality and relationships

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, you've just paid me the best compliment you could have. That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve through this blog.
      I see you've joined the list of followers. Welcome on board. I haven't contributed much lately, because I'm still recovering from a broken arm and I've been so busy working on my novel. But I hope to get back to publishing new posts very soon.
      In the meantime, there are over 600 posts from the past nearly six years. I hope you find something to interest you.
      Thanks for your comment and for taking the time to read. I really appreciate it.

      Delete