Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Update

For those of you still reading this blog after all these years—with Instagram, TikTok, and the like, are blogs even popular anymore?—possibly looking for a new post from me, well, here I am and here it is.

First, after not logging into this blog since April 2022, today, I updated my age, 64, and the number of years I've been with my partner, 31. Otherwise, not a lot has changed in the last year and a half. I'm still writing. Currently, I'm working on a third novel, this one a gay romance featuring two wonderful characters who are sixty years old.

Back in the day, I confess I didn't have a lot of use for older gay men, mostly because I was much younger than them, they were often predatory, and I hadn't fully come to terms with being gay. Today, I'm now one of those older gay men, and while I'm not predatory and never will be, I certainly understand how being older and gay feels. Thankfully, I'm still with my partner of over thirty-one years, so I haven't had to deal with being alone, lonely, and looking for love again.

Back to my writing. My first novel, which I finished writing several years ago, is on hold. After taking twelve years to write it and having it professionally edited, I discovered that, while it has many strengths, it also has major weaknesses. Eventually, I plan to address these problems in some way, but my focus now is on writing the gay romance.

And, two years ago, I finished the first draft of a second novel, which I haven't looked at since. The plan is return to that one at some point too. I look forward to seeing what I put on the paper and to shaping it into something worthy of publication.

I'm a very different person from who started writing this blog in 2009. Back then, I was still trying to get everyone to like me. I was still working hard to convince people I was a worthy human being, even though I was gay. In some cases, that proved futile and frustrated me. Now, I don't care. Like me, don't like me, it doesn't matter. I'm happier with myself than I've ever been, and, frankly, that's all that matters. But it took me a long time to get here. I pray, if you're still struggling in some way with being gay or lesbian, you'll learn this much sooner than I did and waste a lot less of your life.

In the end, the only opinion of you that really matters...is your own.

As always, I can be contacted at rmodien@telus.net. If you read something in this blog that resonates with you, or if you're struggling with accepting yourself, I'm available to answer questions or to chat. I love hearing from readers, and I love helping, if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment