Monday, October 10, 2011

Coming Out Month: Coming Out Day, October 11, 2011


Happy Coming Out Day!

If you came out today, CONGRATULATIONS!  As a gay man or lesbian woman, it's one of the most difficult things you'll ever do, and it's the best thing you've ever done.

If coming out was particularly difficult, and you have no one to talk to about it, I invite you to leave a comment on this post or to send me an email directly.  I want to be there for you and support you in any way I can.

Sometimes, all you need to do is tell someone how you're feeling.  Go ahead and tell me.  I'm listening.  

Hang in there.  You might not feel good about yourself and your life right now, because your secret is finally out and the reactions of your loved ones's weren't the best.  But you will, I promise.  Give it time.

You've given your family and friends a lot to think about.  Let them digest your words and offer to be there for them to answer any questions they may have.  Remember:  You took years to come to terms with your homosexuality.  Give your loved ones the time they need, too.  They will come around.

Life will be good again.  In fact, it will be much better than when you were in the closet.  Anything is better than that.         

No comments:

Post a Comment