Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Thought for the Day, #11 & #12

"You can be whatever you want.  You can love whomever you want.  But only if you first love yourself [p. 174]."

       -- John Berry, director of the United States Office of Personnel Management

*

"What's going to keep you strong, and what's going to help you get through it, is learning how to love yourself.  Seeing yourself as good enough.  Seeing yourself as beautiful enough.  And sharing what makes you, you.  Falling in love with what makes you unique is going to help you get through this difficult time.  Trust me. I've been there.  Thousands of other people have been there.  There are more people out there like you than you can imagine, and they share your story [p. 207].

                                -- Tuan N'Gai, "How I Got Over"

(Underscoring is mine for emphasis.)

Both quotes from It Gets Better: Coming Out, Overcoming Bullying, and Creating a Life Worth Living, Dan Savage and Terry Miller, eds.

5 comments:

  1. Loving myself was the hardest task to accomplish. I grew up hating myself..I used to pray to God to change me to straight or kill me...and could you believe I was only six?!?! Well it took a lot of hard work and deep soul digging but I am eighteen...confident and I love who I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faolan, you have no idea how thrilled I am to hear from a young man like you, and to know you have done the hard work required to love yourself.

    Reading your comment made me smile because you get it--you understand what I write about in so many of my posts. You are an example to so many other gay and lesbian people.

    Keep up the good work. Remember, it's easy to have a setback in how you feel about yourself. Stay vigilant and don't allow anyone to take away how you feel.

    Thanks for your interest in my blog. I hope you'll stop by and leave comments often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry I will! If you want you could check out my blog as well http://cupidpleaseshootme.blogspot.com/
    I talk about my bi relationships and stuff. Its new so don't expect too much from it just yet. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you again, Faolan. I encourage all of my readers to leave comments. Unfortunately, only a select few do (but the most important ones, right?).
    I'll be sure to check out your blog. I'm interested in learning more about people who are bisexual. Thanks for making me aware of it.
    Don't worry about your blog being new and having only a few posts. Stick with it, and, eventually, you'll really have something.
    I take a lot of pride in what I've accomplished here. Not only am I pleased with the number of subjects I've written about, all related to some aspect of being gay, but also I love that I've helped people and made a difference in their lives. That's what it's all about for me.
    Thanks again for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, Faolan, my apologies for not stating this earlier, but I'm so grateful God didn't answer your prayer to kill you if you couldn't be straight; that you didn't kill yourself; and that you've come such a long way in accepting and loving yourself.
    Like I said before, you are an example to so many others. And you're so young, too. What a great lesson you learned early on. Some people take their whole lives to get it, and, regretfully, some never do. What a shame.
    Just think, you have your whole life ahead of you, knowing your self-worth and loving yourself for who you are.
    You, young man, are way ahead of the game. Great job!

    ReplyDelete