Monday, April 25, 2011

Thought for the Day, #13

'If you're struggling with this right now, I want you to go to the mirror, look at yourself and say "I'm (your name)."  If the words "gay" or "bi" or "trans" or "queer" are on your lips, replace it with your name. Because that's who you are.  That's the core of you.  I hope you can understand that.  It's something I didn't understand for far too long [p. 250].'

(From Jessica Leshnoff, "My Own Worst Enemy," It Gets Better:  Coming Out, Overcoming Bullying, and Creating a Life Worth Living," Dan Savage and Terry Miller, eds.)

3 comments:

  1. hi, rick! what a pleasant surprise to find perhaps the most meaningful part of my essay (the most meaningful part to me, i should say) quoted on your blog. we're obviously on the same wavelength! thank you so much for sharing and congrats on your fabulous blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, it is an absolute thrill to hear from you.

    The few sentences I quoted from you resonated deeply with me. I suspected many people who read my blog might not read Dan's book, and I definitely wanted them to know what you said, because it's so important. It also aligns beautifully with what I'm trying to do with my blog, which is to help LGBTQ people love themselves.

    I love your essay in "It Gets Better," and I appreciate you sharing it with us. It will make a difference in other people's lives. (By the way, I earmarked several other passages from it, too, especially this one, which is perfect for my blog: "I had told someone [I was gay] and she didn't care. She loved me unconditionally. But I was sixteen. And even though I wasn't completely sure about my sexuality, I knew, deep inside, that I would have a long way to go because I didn't love myself [p. 250].")

    Thanks for visiting, for taking time from your busy day to leave a comment, and for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for telling me how deeply my essay resonated with you, as well as sharing it with others. it means the world to me. keep up the great blogging! warmest regards, jessica

    ReplyDelete